Saturday, August 19, 2017

ADIEU AUGUST 2017 By Polly Guerin

American Poet, Celia Thaxter in her Island Garden on Appledore
Island, six miles off he coast of Portsmouth, New Hampshire































The halcyon days of summer, ti's the end
Of languid days with my dearest friend

The month of August went flying bye
The forest trees awoke I cannot deny

Leaves danced to the baton of the breeze
Orchestrated by the dulcet wind to please

The lazy flowers got up to greet the sun
Even before the sweetest day has begun

Flowers most fragrant in the morning dew
Gather an save them  in a potpourri, a few

Loving the colorful wildflowers ever more
They tell me vivid windswept stories I adore

Listen softly, a myriad birds are on the wing
An the woods awake with magical music sing

Yet the halcyon days of summer draw near
It's time, keep treasures in the heart so dear

Vacation time, birthdays, a wedding, too
It was a joyous, busy month, but it flew

For in August the harvest days are borne
Bringing luscious greens and golden corn

But I will not forget August's longing song
My favorite eighth month is where I belong!



No comments:

Post a Comment